- August 8, 2019: Challenge announced
- October 3, 2019: #STEMdrivesOhio Kickoff at COSI – Day-long professional development at COSI to learn about Smart Mobility and prepare to lead a design challenge at your school.
- Optional: October 26: P3 Applied: Smart Mobility course begins – With support from DriveOhio and Battelle, the PAST Foundation will accept a limited number of educators for a special cohort of their P3 Applied training. The professional development includes both online and onsite workshops. Learn more.
- November – April 2020: School Showcases – Each school should organize an event where students present their work to community members impacted by their solution. Our team will attend each school showcase, as schedules allow.
- May 2020: Student Solutions Showcase at Battelle – To honor and celebrate student’s work (and yours), we organize the showcase and invite state policy leaders. Last year, State Superintendent Paolo DeMaria attended along with other Ohio leaders. Previous attendees have included Governor DeWine and Lieutenant Governor Jon Husted.
- Optional: August 6, 2020: Ohio State Fair’s Technology and Engineering Showcase – There will be an additional (optional) opportunity for some students to present their solutions at this event.
Requirements for Participation
Download the full guidelines for participation by clicking the link below. These requirements include using the design cycle, hosting a showcase at your school, and completing the registration form below.
To qualify for the statewide showcase at Battelle, your school showcase must be completed by April 24, 2020.
P3 Applied: Smart Mobility course from the the PAST Foundation
Build your Problem-Based Learning skills through online sessions and onsite workshops.
Online: P3: Applied course runs from Monday, October 21st through Friday, November 8th with 3 live, virtual discussion classes.
Onsite (Details TBD):
- Dayton Area – Monday, November 11
- Akron Area – Tuesday, November 19
- Receive two $50.00 gift cards for supplies -Receive 2 CEU’s upon completion
To kick off the 2020 #STEMdrivesOhio Design Challenge, OSLN hosted a launch event at the COSI Science Center where teachers came to learn about the topic of smart mobility and how to implement a design challenge at their schools. The day was broken up into several small sessions where teachers could begin to think of the technological, social and economic impacts of transportation issues within their communities and in the world at large.
The resources from presenters are all posted on the Smart Mobility page with the title “Kickoff”