Sign up your school
Each year, the Ohio STEM Learning Network’s statewide design challenge provides a tremendous learning opportunity for students. We’re working hard to provide a top-quality, flexible program for educators and students again this year.
For now, our most important question is simply: Will your program participate? To answer that, please complete the form below.
If you’re interested in learning more, but not quite ready to register, please select “Just subscribe” on the form below. That will register you for emails about the design challenge. Then, when you’re ready, complete the program registration form.
- September 21, 2020: Launch of the #STEMpowersOhio Design & Entrepreneurship Challenge
- September 2020 – April 30, 2021: Conduct the design challenge at your school or out-of-school program. Use the design cycle to ideate, prototype, and test your solution to improve your community. Create a prototype and pitch for your solution. Host a local showcase and select the top three solutions from your school or organization.
- Be sure to visit our Events page to join us for webinars and more to support you and your students.
- May 2021: OSLN will share the top submissions with local scientists, energy experts, and researchers to select the top solutions for the statewide showcase.
- June 2021: Top solutions will be shared at the virtual statewide solution showcase.
- Official guidelines are here.
- Participating individuals or teams must:
- Create a physical prototype of their solution. It does not have to be a fully functioning model, but students need to explain how it would work. If it can be operational, it should be.
- Develop a 30 – 90 second pitch explaining the benefits of their solution. The Young Entrepreneur Institute has a Pitch Toolkit to help with this.
- Schools or out-of-school programs must:
- Host a local student solution showcase. This is a virtual, or in-person event where students share their solutions and get feedback from an authentic audience.
- Select the top three solutions to represent your school or organization in the OSLN Student Solutions Showcase. In early 2021, we will notify participating schools of the next steps to submit outstanding projects for participation in the virtual Student Design Challenge Showcase in the spring.
This year’s challenge is generously supported by a grant from Constellation Energy, a leading competitive supplier of electricity, natural gas and energy products and services for homes and businesses across the United States.
This year’s design challenge will be largely online. We understand that presents new challenges for students and teachers. To help, we’re partnering with two other challenges. These challenges help to educate students on business development and community planning. Submissions for these challenges include pitches and strategic plans. If a student’s submission to either competition answers our design challenge question on energy, submissions for these other competitions can be entered into the Ohio STEM Learning Network’s #STEMpowersOhio Design & Entrepreneurship Challenge.
Young Entrepreneurs Institute Ohio Resources: The Young Entrepreneurs Institute believes that every child should understand and experience entrepreneurship. To provide children the opportunity to experience entrepreneurship, they employ a unique model of collaboration. In addition to teaching students directly, the Young Entrepreneurs Institute leverages the participation of the community of teachers, educators, and entrepreneurship organizations around Ohio.
Junior Achievement of Central Ohio: Junior Achievement of Central Ohio’s volunteer-led, K-12 programs create real-world experiences that teach financial literacy, ignite an entrepreneurial way of thinking, and build skills for success in careers and in life.